Monday, August 23, 2010

Monsoon Britain

I am writing this with a runny nose and a bad cough. It's August, middle of Summer, and the gods are heaping their love on Britain in the form of liquid sunshine.

My washing is on the line and if it soaks up much more water it might just snap the cord and fall in the mud. Joy!

My girlfriend, who lives in Torrevieja, Spain, has informed me that "It's too hot" and that she is heading to the beach this afternoon to swim in the balmy waters of the Mediterranean. She lives in Spain, and since the property crash, I have been working in the UK with the hope that one day I'll be able to go back.

After suffering one of the coldest winters we have endured since I was a child, waking up to go to work in the cold bleak twilight scraping ice off of my car daily. I remember "ice" from the years I spent in Spain....it's the stuff they put in drinks, to stop them getting too hot!

The ever optimistic people of old Britannia assure me that because winter was so cold this year we were in for a scorcher this summer. I remember the soothsayers at the Meteorological office informing us that 2009 would bring a "BBQ summer". 2008 was a washout too.

Original article

No comments: